A Labor Doula is a professional support person, trained to accompany you through your pregnancy and delivery. She will help you navigate the many birthing choices available to you, providing additional information if you need it. She will be available to answer all your pregnancy and baby related questions 24/7. There is no such thing as a silly question, so ask away! We want you to know that your voice matters. Think of your doula like a ‘pregnancy and birth bff’. Your doula is a safe place to vent or ask questions, and a strong support system when you need a shoulder. Her goal is to have you feeling comfortable and confident in your choices and in your abilities by the time labor arrives.
Your Labor Doula will help you create a custom birth plan. During your Birth Planning Session, you will play our custom interactive birth choices “game”. This game is designed to go in depth with you about possible interventions, your options for labor, and your options surrounding immediate postpartum and baby care. Our goal is to take all of the stress out of the process, so you can enjoy the journey . We know you have a lot of tough choices to make during this time in your life, but these don’t have to be.
She will discuss comfort measures for labor with you, so you know what to expect. During our Comfort Measures Training, you’ll learn about all the many techniques and tools available to you during your birth experience. You don’t need to suffer through it, regardless of your preferences during labor. There are techniques available to help in every kind of birth scenario, and your Doula brings all of those to the table.
She provides comfort and a sense of stability during the one of the most challenging and rewarding times of your life- your baby’s birth. Above all, your doula will support you without judgment. She’ll attune to and hone in on your needs during labor, even if what you want and need during labor is nothing like you had previously discussed. She is flexible, willing to work with you to meet your needs as you labor. There is no wrong way to get through your birth experience. Your labor doula will have your back, regardless of what you need in the moment.
Your Labor Doula coaches, encourages, listens to, and supports you, no matter what.
She is there for you after your baby is born to help you transition into parenthood smoothly, and without anxiety or fear. She’ll help with any immediate needs that arise, big or small. Whether you’re breastfeeding, bottle feeding, have questions about pediatric procedures, or just want her to order your victory meal, she’s got you covered. Your doula will help you get comfortably settled into your recovery room, while answering any questions you have about your newly postpartum body and newborn baby.
Some examples of what a labor doula can do for you are:
- Provide you with any information you request regarding the latest evidence-based practices.
- Support you emotionally throughout your pregnancy, to help you navigate through any fears or doubts.
- Attend appointments with your care provider with you.
- Provide non-judgmental support and encouragement.
- Help you prepare a birth plan.
- Provide support for your partner as well.
- Be available for phone and email support.
- Provide hands-on support, such as acupressure techniques during labor, specifically done to relieve discomfort.
- Suggest position changes and movement options, to help keep you comfortable as you labor.
- Help keep the environment calm, while paying close attention to your needs as labor progresses.
- Remind you of your goals, and help keep you focused throughout labor.
- Encourage you to incorporate any techniques, such as Hypnobirthing or Lamaze, that you learned and hoped to use in labor.
- Support you with breastfeeding, pumping, or formula feeding as needed and desired.
- Provide you with referrals to other resources and professional services when needed.
At Concierge Doulas. we hold our doulas to the highest standards.
All of our doulas are:
- Well trained and up-to-date on current recommendations and safety practices.
- Trained in additional labor support methods, such as rebozo techniques.
- Familiar with labor coping programs like Lamaze, Hypnobirthing, etc.
- CPR & Basic First Aid Certified
- Background Checked
- Non-judgmental and open to supporting families of all backgrounds, faiths, and lifestyles.